Sunday 13 October 2013

Scotts Congratulations Cake

 This was a cake I made for my cousin Scott who managed to get a great place at uni and this was just a little cake I made for him just to say congratulations you're a smart guy!! It's made using a square cake cut into a kind of bottom heavy 8 shape. It's then covered in butter cream and marzipan. I used an orange fondant and covered the whole thing. I added the white detailing on the belly and the face.
 I took the orange fondant, cut it into three, added some yellow to one, some red to another one and so I had 3 varying shades of orange. I used a rose petal cutter and cut out lots of these shapes for feathers. It's important to start at the bottom and finish at the top so that you get a layered feather effect. After that was the beak and feet which was just yellow fondant molded into shape. I then made the eyes using black and white fondant. When I make eyes, I always take a small piece of fondant roll it into a ball and cut it exactly in half. I then roll these two half into balls and press them down, usually using a panel smoother, to make two equal discs for the eyes.
It's always good to add a little spec of white on top the black pupil to act as a reflection.
I then rolled out some black fondant into thin noodles. and cut equal lengths to make glasses.
The hat was made using a little disc of fondant as the base and some fondant rolled out on some cardboard as the top. I then made some strips of black fondant to act as the tassels.
I was quite pleased with this one I must say, I think it would work on a smaller scale as well as it was quite simple and you can always get smaller petal cutters for feathers.
Hope I can make it again for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment